From exocad documentation
Virtual Articulator Module
The Virtual Articulator Module allows the use of a semi-adjustable articulator and dynamic occlusion for a prosthesis or restoration.
There are two different methods of positioning: automatic and manual.
- Automatic positioning - direct scan positioning configuration for the automatic transfer of mounted models into a semi-adjustable articulator (with or without facebow transfer). This method uses direct integration, please consult your system provider for more information.
- Manual positioning - this method allows you to work with a registered jaw (without articulator), enabling the positioning of registered jaws manually or automatically within the Bonwill triangle. This process is covered below.
- In the scan mode dropdown [A] within the job window of the DentalDB, select Type A or Type S (see DentalDB Module). Note: this dropdown is only active if an antagonist [B] is present in the tooth bow.
- Launch DentalCAD. The Virtual Articulator function will be included in the wizard.
- Click Start virtual articulator now. The Virtual Articulator window will appear, and the articulator movement simulation parameters are available for adjustment.
- In the Articulator type section , select the articulator type to use: Type_A, Type_S, or Type_A-Adjustable. Optionally show/hide the articulator by checking the checkbox Show articulator.
- In the Movements section , select the articulation movements by checking the checkboxes Protrusion, Retrusion, Laterotrusion right, and Laterotrusion left. In the Movement length section , optionally define the movement lengths using the slide controls or input fields.
- In the Articulator settings section , define settings according to your physical articulator. These settings will vary for each articulator type.
- Use the Correct Jaws button , to manually or automatically adjust the position of the registered jaws in the Bonwill triangle. The Articulator Jaw Correction window appears, providing tools for orientating the jaws manually and automatically. You can also optionally display planes for visual assistance during positioning (5A).
- There are two tabs: Manually and Automatically:
- In the tab Manually (5B), manually correct the position of the jaws by clicking the corresponding radio buttons for the required movement directions.
- Alternatively, in the tab Automatically (5C), set three points: the incisal point, a point on the left molar, and a point on the right molar. After setting three points, the Perform registration button becomes active. Click this button to perform automatic registration, then click OK to proceed.
- Click the Ignore teeth/consider teeth button  to open a new window where you can toggle teeth during the simulation process (6B). Use this function (for example) if the articulator settings have been adjusted and a specific tooth or teeth should be ignored so they do not affect the articulator movements.
- Once the simulation is completed, the window Repeat articulator movements appears. Use the functions in this window to repeat the articulator movements protrusion, retrusion, laterotrusion left, and laterotrusion right. Drag the slider to reproduce the articulator function movement in the corresponding direction of the active radio button.
Type A (4A)
Type S (4B)
Type A adjustable (4C)